Welcome!

I'm James Maxey, the author of numerous novels of fantasy and science fiction. I use this site to discuss a wide range of topics, with a heavy emphasis on cranky, uninformed rants about politics and religion and other topics that polite people attempt to avoid. For anyone just wanting to read about my books, I maintain a second blog, The Prophet and the Dragon, where I keep the focus solely on my fiction. I also have a webpage where both blogs stream, with more information about all my books, at jamesmaxey.net.

Instagram

Monday, April 01, 2013

Weeks 8, 9, 10: 232

Sigh. I know it's usually called a plateau, but it sure feels like a rut. It's frustrating because my weight at home has frequently been dipping into the 220s during the morning. Last Wednesday, I got as low as 227. But, for some reason, on Mondays at work, I'm just stuck at the same number.

We've had a couple of weeks of terrible weather that's kept me from making any long hikes. This week, I'm going to be too busy on my novel to carve out time for three or four hour hike, which are the exercise that really moves the numbers for me. I have been working in jogging when I get out, but the three mile sessions I have put in just haven't been enough, apparently. Oh well. It's a long term game. I'll keep going.

2 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Hang in there. The usual cliche is that maintaining your new weight is more difficult than losing to that level was to begin with. Perhaps the cliche means mentally. So pat yourself on the back! Don't get discouraged until those numbers start creeping back up, if they do.

James Maxey said...

Thanks for the pep talk, Cavin! I'm still a long way from discouraged. Losing weight is definitely getting tougher, but I'm constantly suprising myself with things I can do now that I'm so much healthier. There are long bleacher stairs at one of my frequent walking places and I was going up and down them yesterday to kill time while Cheryl finished her lap, and I wasn't even winded. Compared to where I was at a year ago, I feel like losing all this weight has taken at least a decade off how old I feel. My goal now is to be in better shape when I turn 50 than I was when I turned 40.