Welcome!

I'm James Maxey, the author of numerous novels of fantasy and science fiction. I use this site to discuss a wide range of topics, with a heavy emphasis on cranky, uninformed rants about politics and religion and other topics that polite people attempt to avoid. For anyone just wanting to read about my books, I maintain a second blog, The Prophet and the Dragon, where I keep the focus solely on my fiction. I also have a webpage where both blogs stream, with more information about all my books, at jamesmaxey.net.

Instagram

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Under Construction

Whateverville is no more! For a long time, I've been worried that my blog title was too close to the title of science fiction author John Scalzi's much more popular blog "Whatever." I was unaware of his blog when I named my blog "Whateverville," and, since he probably gets 1000 hits for every 1 I get, I didn't want people to think I was trying to leach off his glory.

There is already at least one blog with the title "Jawbone of an Ass," but it updates only once every few months, so I doubt I'll be accused of trying to steal his readers.

Why "Jawbone of an Ass?" First, I like the image of Samson standing in the middle of 1000 philistines, smiting them with a donkey-bone. Occasionally on this blog, I rail against forces that outnumber me by an insane ratio. I write about atheism in the midst of a nation that thinks of itself as Christian. I write Liberterian manifestos in a nation where the Libertarian party routinely draws under 1% of the popular vote. I feel like the fabled lone voice crying in the wilderness. And yet... I still believe in the power of words. Despite much evidence to the contrary, I still hold out hope that words can change the world for the better. I may be surrounded by Philistines, but I intend to keep swinging.

Second, well, I can be something of an ass, and I like to use my jawbone. I don't go out of my way to be polite. I may occasionally use derogatory terms like "idiot," "inbred," and "Republican."

I'll be making several changes to this blog and soon to be announced companion blogs over the coming weeks. There's a lot of stuff I need to update. For the rest of the month, consider this site under construction.

2 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Nice allusion. I like it. For what it's worth, though, the blog still comes through on my RSS feed as "Whateverville."

James Maxey said...

Glad you like it. I'm not an expert in feeds, alas. It may just be that people who suscribed before the title change will still see the feed under the old title. Or it may be just an update thing, since the title isn't even a day old yet. Some unknown clock at good may refresh itself in the coming days and push the new title out to the feeds.